foodalicious

a community blog of gastrophiles for all seasons

Monday, November 22, 2004

Monkey Bread: The Official Bread of Monkeys

Ingredients:

4 cans biscuits (I use the blue 4-pack found in most grocer's refridgerators, any will work)
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon

Mix cinnamon and sugar together. Quarter biscuits and roll in sugar mixture. Pile into a greased bundt pan. Melt the following topping together and pour over biscuits:

Topping:
1 stick margarine/butter
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Bake at 350 degrees until done (approx. 30-35 minutes). Invert bundt pan onto a plate and serve.

My only advice on this dish is to make sure the plate you invert the bread onto is bigger than the bundt pan. Otherwise, all the buttery goodness will pour out of the pan and fall on the counter/floor/you and make a sticky mess. This is also good as a left over, either cold or warmed in the oven.

Enjoy!

8 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that I usually throw the topping ingredients into a measuring cup and microwave for about 1/2-1 minute to melt the butter. Just make sure to stir it before pouring over the biscuits.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

thanks, Erin!

do you know about the sticky, buttery mess from culinary experience?

3:51 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

yep. lots of experience. Guess who's having monkey bread tomorrow!!!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I wish I was...

8:36 PM  
Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

Monkey Bread's fantastic. When I made it for Stephen, I put chocolate chips in his half before I baked it. That was good.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Taylor said...

"Official Bread of Monkeys"

That's funny.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

The top layer in the pan when you take it out of the oven is heaven.

I morphed your recipe with one I got over email. I used slightly less butter and put some vanilla pudding mix in with the sugar and cinnamon when I did the dough coating. Yum.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Ohhh...that sounds good. Another thing that is on the official recipe is to grease and flour your pan. I normally don't do this, but my Mom does. It thickens the gooey coating a little bit and is really good. The vanilla pudding probably not only adds flavor, but helps thicken it too.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home