foodalicious

a community blog of gastrophiles for all seasons

Sunday, November 07, 2004

¡Cuba Libre!

Inspired by a virtual conversation with Taylor and Carrie, I decided to celebrate my Cuban culinary heritage for the first time by making a spicy shrimp stew this evening. Epicurious seems to do right by Claudia, and has done me right in the past, so I considered it trustworthy. Glad I did; this recipe was great! (served with homemade italian herb bread and my grandmother's spinach)

A few caveats:
(1) buying shrimp in late fall in Michigan is going to be expensive; you've gotta want it.
(2) if you make this dish, be sure to give the stew time to reduce and thicken (i.e., ignore their minute recommendations... patience, young padawan).

Enjoy!

3 Comments:

Blogger Taylor said...

I think the big thing about the reduction times listed in recipes is that our kitchen setups are different mainly in:

1) we don't have big enough cookware on average (most people have 10 in fry and sautee pans, while cooks usually seem to use 12 in)

2) electric range vs. gas

5:21 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

My 10" skillet really doesn't see much action unless I'm scrambling eggs. I use my 12s much more often.

Love epicurious. My mother got us a subscription to Bon Appetit soon after we married, and I love that I can look the older recipes up online instead of having to sort through 4 years worth of magazines, plus it gives me the chance to try out Gourmet recipes too, so yay for epicurious.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

The title made me laugh. My roommate, whose father was born in Cuba, stood up at her graduation and shouted "Viva Cuba Libre!"
Another Cuban meal I enjoy, prepared by my roommate's grandmother is her Cuban tamale. It's not like a regular tamale, more like a mushy cornbread with ham in it...I tried out one recipe I found but it didn't taste the same. This sounds good though

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home