foodalicious

a community blog of gastrophiles for all seasons

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Mary's Scalloped Sweet Potatoes

It's been such a long time that I've posted to this blog that I can't remember any of my sign-in information. Richard was kind enough to let me use his...

I used a regular scalloped potato recipe as my guide for creating this sweet potato version (it was useful for figuring out cooking times as well as how much liquid to use). It isn't a fast dish to put together - it has to bake for about an hour and a half - but it is very good. I think we might make this instead of traditional sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving this year.

2 lbs sweet potatoes, sliced and peeled
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk (skim is fine)
1/3 apple butter (you can usually find this on the jam aisle, pumpkin butter would also work)
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
3 oz (approximately) grated Gruyere cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Saute the onion in the olive oil. Add the lemon juice and cook until the onion turns translucent.

Coat a baking dish with cooking spray. Layer half of the potatoes on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and pepper. Top with the cooked onion. Put the rest of the potatoes on top of the onion. Sprinkle more salt and pepper on the potatoes.

Over medium heat, whisk together flour and butter until smooth and bubbly. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and apple butter. Slowly add to the butter and flour being careful not to let lumps form. Cook until it starts to boil and thicken. Add parmesan cheese and curry powder, and if you like, more salt and pepper (depending on how much you already put on the potatoes). Pour this sauce over the potatoes.

Cover the casserole dish loosely with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
Take off the foil and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Finally, top the potatoes with the gruyere and bake an additional 10 minutes

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

Foodalicious is back baby!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

...and this recipe is soo good! Mary, I've made it three times now, and each time I think it's the best I've ever made.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

Oh, and it is a lot of work for a side dish, but completely worth it. If I know ahead of time that I'm going to make it, I peel and slice my potatoes and sautee the onions ahead of time. It comes together much quicker the following day.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Getting everything sliced and peeled ahead of time is a great idea. I'll have to do that next time.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home