foodalicious

a community blog of gastrophiles for all seasons

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Tomato Basil Soup (Healthy version)

So since Taylor was sick on Friday, I decided to make him soup. I had this recipe written down at some point, but I had to go searching for this recipe to make it, so I figured I'd post it here so that I can find it and some of you might like it as well. I had a slight mishap while using the food processor while making it (that liquid level line is key to notice), but other than the tomato juice bath my counter had, it came out well. I bought some ricotta herb bread at the bakery down the street to dunk in the soup...yummy.

Note: A handheld submersion blender would be handy instead of trying to transfer the soup to and from the saucepan.

4 cups chopped, seeded peeled tomato (about 4 larger, or one big ole can)
4 cups tomato juice
1/3 cups fresh basil leaves
1 cup 1% low-fat milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 cup (4 oz.) 1/3-less fat cream cheese, softened

Bring tomato and juice to boil in large saucepan (and I do mean large). Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes.

Place tomato mixture ina blender or food processor; process until smooth. Return pureed mixutre to pan; stir in milk, salt, and pepper. Add cream cheese, stirring well, and cook over medium heat until thick (about 5 minutes).

Yield: 8 servings (serving size 1 cup); 133 calories, 4.4 g fat, 5.4 g protein, 1.9 g fiber; 18.7 g carb.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I can only assume that if you use whole milk and regular cream cheese that the soup would come out even richer and creamier.

2:31 PM  
Blogger richard said...

sounds really good, i'll remember this for the next time i'm sick.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Patricia Ebrahimi said...

When and how did you use the basil?

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home